According to experts, some people only take 1 week to come back to their normal routine, but some people take 1 month. This is due to the skill of the dentists and the way patients take care of their health after tooth extraction.
- 1 How many days does it take to be free from pain after removing wisdom teeth?
- 2 Important note for extracting wisdom teeth
- 3 When is the best time to extract wisdom teeth?
- 4 In which cases should wisdom teeth not be removed?
- 5 Is wisdom tooth extraction difficult?
- 6 How long does wisdom tooth extraction take?
- 7 Does wisdom tooth extraction take long to heal?
- 8 How to take care of wisdom tooth extraction to effectively relieve pain?
How many days does it take to be free from pain after removing wisdom teeth?
According to Dr Nguyen Anh Ngoc, within 2-3 days after wisdom tooth extraction, the pain symptoms will gradually decrease and recover. During this procedure, pain medication prescribed by your dentist may be used to reduce pain and discomfort.
In addition, to accelerate the wound healing process, we can apply cold compress combined with hot compress. Then, you can normally eat and drink.
Important note for extracting wisdom teeth
Choosing a reputable dental facility for tooth extraction
How long it takes for wisdom teeth to heal depends largely on where patients choose to get their teeth removed. Patients should go to places with a team of good doctors and modern infrastructure.
A minor wisdom tooth extraction surgery can be simple for many dentists. But to conduct difficult extractions, the dentists need skills and experience.
For inexperienced doctors, just a small mistake during incision or root extraction can also lead to many consequences.
The mild consequences may be profuse bleeding, gingivitis, swelling and pain that lasts a long time. Severe cases can cause complications in the oral cavity and affect adjacent teeth. Recovery time after wisdom tooth extraction can take up to a month or even 2-3 months.
Therefore, customers should choose reputable wisdom tooth extraction addresses.
Proper oral care
Oral care skills are extremely important. Patients need to control their activities and the food they consume after the wisdom teeth removal.
- In the first 2 to 3 days: there will be bleeding at the extraction site. The blood will quickly coagulate and scab at the extraction location. What we need to do is place a cotton gauze pad over the extraction site to absorb the blood and keep it from continuously bleeding.
- Absolutely do not brush teeth, spit or touch the extraction area. Because the wound is still fresh at this time, just a small impact can open it, causing bleeding.
- About 4 to 5 days after, the wound heals and you can brush your teeth gently. Don’t forget to gargle with salt water twice a day to kill bacteria.
- Should not eat snacks, sweets, chewy, hard foods such as cartilage, bones, tendons…
- Refrain from eating foods that are too hot, too spicy and too cold such as ice cream, hot pot, noodle soup, chili, fish sauce…
- Stay away from carbonated and sugary drinks so as not to accumulate bacteria on the teeth.
When is the best time to extract wisdom teeth?
According to doctors, wisdom teeth should be extracted in the morning after breakfast. This is a time when we have a lot of excitement and energy. Extracting in the morning also makes the post-extraction care process more convenient and easier.
If unexpected complications occur, doctors can handle them promptly. For customers with good health conditions, doctors recommend having wisdom teeth removed early to limit complications later.
In which cases should wisdom teeth not be removed?
In the following cases, doctors advise not to hastily extract wisdom teeth.
During pregnancy, a woman’s body is sensitive and needs special care. If wisdom teeth are extracted, the mother may have to take pain relievers, anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. This is absolutely not good for both the mother and baby in the womb.
Having cardiovascular disease, long-term diabetes
These are erratic diseases, easily affected when the body has a different intervention. Therefore, customers must cure these diseases to be eligible to have their wisdom tooth extracted.
Newly ill person
At this time, the body is still in the recovery phase, the immune system is still weak. If the tooth is extracted, it will take a long time to recover. Conducting wisdom tooth extraction at this time also makes the patient ‘s health worse.
People who are on their period
At this time, the body is having hormonal disturbances and losing a large amount of blood in the body. Therefore, this time is also not a suitable time for wisdom tooth extraction.
Is wisdom tooth extraction difficult?
Wisdom tooth extraction is not difficult because it is a simple minor surgery. The procedure is quick, painless and does not affect other oral areas. The wisdom tooth extraction process includes basic operations such as: gingival incision, tooth cutting, root extraction and gum suture, blood infiltration. At the end of the treatment, the client can go home the same day.
According to dentists, the upper wisdom teeth will be easier to extract than the lower wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth of normal shape, protruding from the jaw are easier to extract. The doctor only needs to use pliers to shake the root of the tooth and pull it out.
The wisdom teeth that are impacted or misaligned need more specialized tools. To extract, it is necessary to use a knife to remove the gums and ligaments to expose the teeth.
How long does wisdom tooth extraction take?
How long it takes to get wisdom teeth removed depends on how the teeth erupt. The average time for a wisdom tooth extraction surgery is about 15-20 minutes/teeth. Impacted teeth with complex misalignment in the bone can take up to 30 minutes or 1 hour. After wisdom tooth extraction, the dentist will prescribe medicine to reduce inflammation and pain in the first 4-5 days.
It takes the longest time to extract an impacted wisdom tooth. Because then the dentist needs to make an incision in the gums and cut each part of the tooth to get all the roots out. After tooth extraction, customers also feel pain and bleeding more.
Does wisdom tooth extraction take long to heal?
After 7 days of wisdom tooth extraction, the pain will be completely gone. After 2 weeks, the incision will heal and the patient can eat and drink as usual. If someone has swelling and pain that lasts for a week or more, it is likely that they are experiencing complications after tooth extraction.
Customers can go through the following stages for the wound to heal completely:
- The first 2 hours after extraction: feel sensitivity and mild pain in the extraction area. The level of pain depends on the individual patient. At this time, it is necessary to take pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs to speed up wound healing.
- After 1 day: blood clot adheres around the ươund. If you look closely, you will see a white film on the teeth. This is a protective layer. So during this time, absolutely do not gargle.
- 2 to 3 days later: pain, swelling and bleeding are reduced. Some patients are able to eat and drink normally again. If the pain persists for more than a week, it may be due to complications. At this point, we need to contact the doctor immediately for an examination.
- After 1 week: from 7 to about 10 days later, the numbness of the jaw will disappear. The patients get re-examines at the place of tooth extraction and cut the thread if necessary. The follow-up time for each person is different.
- After 14 days: the incision heals and the blood clot completely stops.
- After 30 days of tooth extraction, the socket is almost completely healed and the incision is not clearly visible.
- After about 6-8 months, the entire bone structure of the wisdom tooth is completely healed and there is no trace of tooth extraction.
How to take care of wisdom tooth extraction to effectively relieve pain?
After wisdom tooth extraction, the level of pain depends on many subjective and objective factors. However, customers can take care of their teeth according to the instructions below to reduce pain.
- Take care of the swollen and painful face every day. If swelling is painful, apply cold compress for the first 2-3 days, 4 to 5 times per day, each time 3 or 5 minutes. Cold compress helps constrict blood vessels, reducing pain.
- After 2-3 days of applying ice, switch to hot compress. Heat helps blood vessels dilate to dissolve inflammation.
- Activities of the day: in the first 3 days, you should limit chewing and moving the jaw too much. Especially do not put your hands or other objects in your mouth to avoid bacteria entering and forming an infection. Do not gargle with salt water for the first 2 days.
- Diet: In the first 3 days, eat only soft foods to limit the function of the jaw. Do not eat hot spicy food. Do not eat sticky rice, water spinach, chicken skin because it can fester the wound and cause keloid scars in the oral cavity. Absolutely do not eat fish sauce and salty spices.
In addition, it is necessary to pay attention to supplementing with nutrients such as vitamins, calcium, etc. When you see abnormal symptoms in the oral cavity, please contact your doctor immediately.
How long it takes for wisdom teeth extraction to completely heal depends on many different factors. Patients should arrange to visit the dentist for wisdom tooth extraction as soon as possible.